Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Final Project Progress - Dec 4

My idea had changed from encompassing nineteen rules somehow into just focusing on one of the rules and acting it out:

2. Ask every person you meet how their day is going. Genuinely ask with the soul intention of learning how their day is. Ask the coffee shop employee. Ask the person next to you in line at Walmart. Ask your distant friend. Ask everyone.
Again, I'm reminded of a YouTube video I once saw (I have seen a lot of YouTube videos and my memory is impeccable for those that had had an emotional impact on me):


 I might use their method rather than what I've been doing, which is prepping the other person and asking their permission first. I think they think I'm gonna ask them a really complicated question about the State of the Union or something like that. At the same time, I don't want them to panic about randomly being filmed. Would that happen? I guess I'll find out.

I'll definitely be asking more people in the next few days. I'll do my painting homework during the mornings and late nights, and go out sometime in the late afternoon to the evening and just gather footage. I can go to Family Dollar and ask the cashier, to the diner and ask the waitress.

I've seen strangers on the street and thought about including them, but I usually get intimidated by others. Not that random people are particularly intimidating, it's probably just a mild form of social anxiety or something. I don't really want to be a bother to people who are just trying to go about their day. Maybe willingly picking a project that requires me to put myself in kind of stressful situations wasn't my best idea, but I do need to get used to it. Can't be a shut-in forever.

I can do this. So far I've only gotten people that I know (and one rushed person). It may be time to branch out. Statistics say that not all of them will respond. But for the ones that do, I'll be eternally grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment